Monday 18 June 2007

Reflection Time

You know what a lot of blogs now have been about how I am feeling, which is weird for me, especially posting it on the big World Wide Web.

With all the full on stuff and issues occuring lately I have felt as if I have needed personal reflection time, a time to myself, time to get away and think about stuff. I'd use this time to journal and pray. I was talking to Brother Benjamin about this on MSN one famous night this week and decided that it was just what the doctor ordered.

I have never been one for personl reflection as I have never felt as if there has been a space where I could do it. This topic often came up when I spoke to my Mentor, Bindy Albury, where we would wrestle with finding me a place to go and just think, meditate and pray. I needed and still need a space where I can go on a regular basis to all of this and much more. I pretty much need a 'Lauren Space'. I recommend that everyone invests in their own space, I know it would be good when I finally find it.

I have been on this adventure, where I have searched high and low for that space, for about 4 years. Isn't that ridiculous that I still cannot find a place. I decided that it couldn't be my room, on a count of the intense study that occured during year12 and therefore it has a bad vibe to it. For awhile I liked the idea of going to my grandma's house. My grandma died 4 years ago, hence why I have been on the search for 4 years. Her house is on the same property as ours. She was a very influential part of my life and therefore I thought it would be appropriate for my space to be there. However through much begging and tantrums, my parents didn't share the same opinions. Really there wasn't any tantrums or begging because it is a very delicate subject.

Anyway I am still on the hunt to find my space and would love any suggestions. I was thinking about making a cubby, but with the cold weather lately, a cubby outside wouldn't be ideal.

5 comments:

Jono said...

Firstly, I am definately the winner when it comes to speedy comments. This is definately the third psot that I am the first person to comment on.
Awesome.
Anyway, about the whole "me place" thing, I totally get what you're on about, but I don't know if it does any good to consciously go looking for a place. I, indeed, have a place where I go a lot, and just sit/reflect on stuff. It is a mile away from anything important, so it had no initial meaning to it, but now I consider it a place where I can get away form the rest of the world for a while.
Basicall,y I think that trying to find a place with meaning doens't work. I think if you jsut found a place that is detatched from any sort of meaning already, and used that palce, it would become good. I am not sure though, different things work for different people.
-xox-

B.C. said...

Jono, you are a blogsharkstalker.

Loz, for me, I don't think the place is what matters. It's where you are in your mind. If you find a spot to feel comfortable and eliminate other thoughts, that's good enough. After all, we've done some of this reflection stuff before, in all sorts of places. It helps when you are intentional about it, and put aside specific time and effort to do it. You know I'm always up for some good meditation too.

Cubby outside? yes that is awesome. I will live in it.

PS I'm proud of you for blogging often. Good work.

Lauren Pinches said...

Thank you firstly for reading my blog, it is very encouraging.
I know I need to set aside time for personal reflection and give myself space, yet I never feel like I am in the right environment, this is why it is so necessary for me to have a place where I can go to relax, rest and reflect. If the environment isn't right, then my thought pattern isn't right.
I have tried personal time in many places, like the beach, my lounge room and Ben's bedroom, each have been great and exactly what I needed at the time, but it isn't regular or intentional, it has just happened.
Right now I need intentional time to myself.
Thanks again
xox

B.C. said...

Sime and I find this problem too, and like you, and many others, we enjoy the quiet reflection/meditation times. We just agreed that as part of our ministry (ha favourite word now?) together, we'd have quiet times every so often. It's good because it's in a place that is not our home environments, and for me, at least, it often takes another person to be with me to do this sort of thing. Even though it's a personal experience. Strange yeh?

Also. My bedroom is the bestest ha. Ok after reading this, turn off the computer, and go sit downstairs in the construction area. That's your intentional spot for the day. DO IT.

Lauren Pinches said...

I actually like the sound of going down stairs into the construction site. That actually wouldn't be a bad place to go. I'd dress it up and put a towel and pillows down there so that I don't have to sit in filth, eww!
Thanks for the suggestion Ben. I didn't get the opportunity to do this last night, instead had an early night, for the first time in ages.