Wednesday 22 August 2007

Travel

My family and I had a discussion over dinner the other night about travel. We are in the process of thinking about where we are going for the Christmas Holidays. Some of the suggestions have been Thailand, Africa, China and America. Ally, my sister, is going to be on exchange in France, so she doesn't want us to go anywhere, so that she doesn't miss out. I don't know how she could think she was missing out when she is having Christmas in France?? Brendan was planning on being in Spain with friends, yet isn't going anymore, so is keen for a trip overseas. Cameron never comes on family trips anymore, which led to his arguement. Cameron feels that he has missed out on many overseas trips that as a family we have been on. Cameron has missed out, he didn't come to Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam or France (even though I was the only one to go to France). Cameron is 23 years old and has got to a place where he doesn't want to come on family holidays with us anymore. He thinks he is too cool, as if. His aguement was that Mum and Dad should pay for a flight for him to go overseas with friends, because they haven't paid for a trip for him. Mum and Dad have said that they would be happy to pay for his flight if he came on a family holiday, but won't pay if he is going with friends. Is this fair? I personally think that Cam should pay for a flight when going with friends or by himself, but Mum and Dad pay if he comes on a family holiday. I would like someone elses opinion. Just so you know, he has a full-time job and has become quite wealthy, to the point where he is able to buy an apartment to move into, however he is still looking.

I absolutely love travelling. I love going somewhere new and exploring everything about it. I have an obsession with maps, looking at where I am going, knowing all the sights and working my way around an area. I am hoping that I get a map soon to put up in my room and then pin all the places I have been to already and also the places I hope to go to. I have a goal with my travelling and that is to visit each of the Seven Wonders of the World. I am fascinated by them and so far I have seen two out of seven. Different people have differing opinions as to the classification of the Seven Wonders of the World. For me it is Eiffel Tower, Coloseum, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Taj Mahal, Golden Gate Bridge, Great Wall of China and the Sphinx. So far I have seen the Golden Gate Bridge and the Eiffel Tower.
Not only do I love overseas travel, but I really enjoy travelling around Australia. So far I have only been on the East Coast, from the very top in Cairns, to down on the Penninsula. In a couple of years time, my two American/Australian cousins, Jess and Amy, my sister and I are hoping to go on a Road Trip around Australia together. This will hopefully happen when Amy and Ally finish School. Jess finishes next year in June and Amy finishes the year after in June, along with Ally in November.

My parents travel a lot for work and for their own enjoyment. Dad just got back from conferences in Hong Kong and China and then Mum and Dad are off again in a few weeks time, where they will consequently miss out on my birthday. I have no idea where they are going, but I know it is overseas, I am thinking it is America. High on the places for my parents include Sydney, as we have an office there (actually they are leaving for there tonight), New Zealand, as we have an office there too, America, some of our products are in operation there, Asia, because Dad is at a lot of conferences and parts of Europe, like Denmark as Dad is working on a product in conjunction with a man that lives there. My parents travel a lot, which is sometimes really hard to deal with as I am in charge, but it is also sad, when they miss things like my birthday.

So there are still discussions going on as to where we as a family are going for the holidays. At the last minute my parents will tell us where we are going and I cannot wait to find out where it will be.

2 comments:

Jono said...

Wow, there are so many different things in this post, I think, and I will comment on each.

THING ONE: I shall not take sides, but Cam should probably pay for his own trips. Is that taking sides? No. But in terms of family things, I think it is reasonable to pay for him if he comes along to those, although even then it could be reasonable to expect him to chip in. Being 23? But I am not sure, I have no idea what it is like to be 23 or be in a family with a 23 year-old. I am not sure.

THING TWO: The seven wonders of the world are very cool, or at least I would assume so. I have not seen any of them, and hope that one day I may be able to, and truly understand how awesomness they are. But I tend not to travel much, especially having been brought up in a not-so-perfectly rich family. Although I have been around Australia fairly thouroghly. The middle of Australia is rather boring. Except for that big rock I stumbled accross.

THING THREE: What was thing three? I forgot. I don't know.
I find travelling so fun also, but I struggle a lot of the time with the concept of leaving home, and possibly leaving things behind that I want to do, need to do or even just not seeing friends for however long. I love home, but I find myself most relaxed when separated from it, so long as I am not thinking about it. I love travelling in that you can forget about the rest of the world, and just be somewhere new, where nothing matters. If there was nothing I had to worry about at home, then I love travelling like nothign else. But thee generally is something at home. Generally, except for between school years. Maybe that's why I enjoy our regular Lake Tyres holiday so much. Hmmm. Yay! Holidays! They are the best. Best fun. Fun best.
Wow, was this a long comment? Yes. Maybe I could've made a whole post about it on my own blog. Maybe. But I did not.
Finished!

B.C. said...

I also plan to visit all world wonders, and more than in your list. You should come. Road trip! ... but by plane.