Friday 24 August 2007

Mother Figure

As soon as my parents leave the house, for one night or a month, I become the Mother Figure in my household. I become the one that everyone turns to for cleaning the house, cooking, looking after the dogs, doing the laundry or looking after everyone else. My parents go away a lot and consequently, I am in charge a lot. Actually come to think of it, even when my parents are here, I am the Mother Figure, or second in charge. Mum calls on me for so much and so does everyone else in the family.

My parents left for Sydney yesterday, and so I was promoted to Mother Figure as soon as they left. I came home from work late last night, to find out that no one had saved me dinner. That was no problem, I just threw in some toast and had that. Then I looked at the state of the kitchen, there was crap everywhere and it was all Cameron's mess from his dinner. Fortunately he had fed the dogs, so I couldn't be too angry, so I emptied the dishwasher, stacked it again with all of the plates that had been left from Cam's dinner. I then got rid of all the rubbish on the bench that he had left. I wiped down the bench and once again the kitchen was restored to spotless area.
I then went onto the computer, just to check emails, do blob etc. I was on there for about 10 minutes before Brendan and Ally walked through the door from a Soccer dinner. Not long after they walked in, Brendan yelled for me to come to the kitchen. So I jumped off, left a very important MSN conversation and went to Brendan. He gave me this stupid little stare and asked if I could make him pancakes. Apparently the food at the soccer dinner was horrible and he was hungry. I said no and that I wanted to go to bed soon, that I had just cleaned up after Cam, got home to no dinner for me and was talking to someone on MSN. Well Brendan didn't like that at all, he called me selfish and said that I never do anything for him. Ally then came into the conversation and said that I was selfish, backing Brendan up. Well I just left, I wasn't going to stick around to have an arguement with them, even though they continued to yell at me, calling me selfish as I left.

This morning I got up earlier then needed and drove Ally to school, because she was tired from the Soccer Dinner, even though I went to bed later then her. I stayed up cleaning the house, put the dogs to bed, put away the crap left out after Brendan made pancakes and got ready for bed myself, all after I had tucked Ally into bed and gave her a kiss goodnight.
Thinking about it now, Ally really didn't deserve that lift to school this morning, not after the way she treated me last night. I am such a push over, when it comes to doing stuff for my siblings and for mum and dad. The annoying thing is that even if I told my parents about how I was treated while they were away, Cam, Bren and Ally, would deny that they did all of that, or say that it was just a joke. My parents will not do anything, however may just add to the load, by asking me to clean the house for them on arrival or make sure that Ally, gets to different places.

It is quite frustrating and I get roped into it every time my parents are not home, they could be overseas, interstate or just out of the house. I need a fairy godmother to help me or a second Lauren, so that I can have some decent nights sleep, able to do all my Uni work and help out around the house.

7 comments:

B.C. said...

It's funny you said fairy godmother because I was just about to call you Cinderella! One day you'll go to the ball, don't worry.

Even though you're not given proper respect or gratitude for what you do, do it out of love anyway. Remember. Little things, great love. It's hard to keep on giving, and people like myself will be there when you need to step back, but to be humble is to be exactly what God wants you to be. You're doing well, keep it up.

Peace. Love.

Lauren Pinches said...

Thanks Ben, I need to keep on remebering that. I did do everything out of love in the beginning, but I have progressively become frustrated.

I am Cinderalla and I want to go that Ball, when can I go? Now?

Thanks Brother Benjamin

Jono said...

Annoying. I know what it is like to have annoying siblings like that. Although I can't say I know what it's like to be the mother figure like you have experienced. It, as Ben mentioned, is great that you can do these things out of love for your family, and give so much, but IO think it is still quite unfair about all of that. Maybe you can;t talk to your parents about it, for reasons you explained, but would talking to siblings about it, seriously, work? I don't know, as I hardly speak to my siblings seriously about my frusterations or anything ever. I should. But it is hard. I don't like hardness. And I don;t like starting conflicts. Mayeb I need to start conflicts. Like Ben said on his blog.
Ben, remember to keep that slapping hand ready! Ha!

Sime said...

I've got to say that I disagree with Ben within this particular context (we should do little things with great love), because I reckon that you're just being abused and taken for granted. I don't see why you, in a family adults, should have to clean up after everyone just coz they're too lazy to do it themselves. To me it seem like your siblings need to grow up and learn to fend for themselves? Am I too harsh? It just sounds to me like you're being treated like a servant, and clearly you are not.

B.C. said...

I agree too, I didn't mention the stuff that Jono or Simon wrote. You do need to slap them a bit, metaphorically, if they are walking over you.

PS. Simon. Blog fight. NOW! It'll be just like the blob fight. I'll win.

Sime said...

Chong, I will Crane-kick you back to last year...

Agree, metaphorical slap is required, or a smack down...

Lauren Pinches said...

Thank you so much guys for all your support and care, I really appreciate it.
I took your advice Jono on talking to siblings about how I was struggling. I spoke to Ally last night when she asked me to drive ehr this morning to Waterpolo at MSAC for 7am. I sat her down and talked to her and I think she understood how I was feeling. I was planning on taking her to Waterpolo, however we both slept in and she missed it. Oh well!
Simon: My siblings do need to grow up, especially the guys. As I am a younger sibling, I cannot tell them off, otheriwse they crack it at me. They do not listen, instead just continue to joke around and continue to leave there crap everywhere.
It is going to be an ongoing struggle for me, but I am going to continue to look at strategies and continue to talk to mum, dad and Ally about it, as they are listening (maybe not acting on it, but that is ok).