Tuesday 4 September 2007

Christian Material

Today I went to look in 'Word' and 'Koorong', which are Christian shops, for a study book for my Girls Small Group and also have a look for some more books to read, as I am so keen on reading Christian Books at the moment. I went with my school friend, Alison, who is a Christian and goes to Ringwood Church of Christ. It was great being able to go and walk around looking at the diffierent topics that are available to read, especially sharing it with a friend.

In some sense it is so excessive and there are so many books with so many different topics and different authors of similar topics. I really want another book to read, but I don't know what topic to choose, or which author would have the best insight, or what it is I want to gain from reading the books. I am looking at Youth Ministery books, as I feel this is an area in my life that God is calling me towards and I want to be able to stretch my knowledge, faith and compassion in this area. I am going to go back again in the next week to get a study book for mine and Chelsea's Girls Small Group, however I don't know where to start for that either, as there are so many topics that would benefit the girls and are so relevent.

I have just finished reading a book called 'The Heavenly Man', which is about a Chinese man who was introduced to Christianity at the age of 16 and throughout the rest of his life he went through a lot of persecution for his faith. He was in and out of gaol and beaten regularly. He and his family for continually on the run and went away from a normal life, just so they could spread the word of the Lord. They stood up for what they believe in, no matter what persecution they met. I was, as I was reading, and still am in total awe of the way in which he is so passionate about his faith and God, not allowing any presecution to make him question his faith. He put so much trust and love in God to get him through everyday.

There is so much Christian Material out there and I don't know where to start with it. I find that it is excessive, but can be so beneficial to peoples faith and being able to stretch yourself. In being able to read others experiences makes me question my faith, which allows me to continually think about my faith, where I am not falling into the trap of being a Sunday Christian, so just worshipping on a Sunday.
I have no idea which book I am going to get next or what book I will get for my Girls. I just hope in some way they will benefit from it and can grow in their faith through it.

4 comments:

Kyla said...

Hey Lauren! I know it's so hard to know what to read, especially Christian books. Luckily I live with a guy whos constantly reading so he can suggest stuff for me. Have you read an irresistable revolution? I'm just about to start reading it. I've heard it's amazing and I'd love to have someone to discuss it with. Hope you find something!

Jono said...

I am a hurrendously slow reader. I spelt hurrendously wrong, and I do not care. And example is: It has taken me a month to read half of Harry Potter. So when I read a book, it lasts for a significant part of my life, and hence, I am one who is very selective of what I read. So I would find myself looking at all those books, and thinking that I couldn't choose one unless it had been recommended to me by somebody else as a book worth reading. In a way, this is good. You could ask other epople what they have got heaps out of, and what ahs given them a big insight, or you could do the other option, which is more risky, and try and find something new for yourself, that you might be able to tell other people about afterwards.
I love books so much. I wish I could read them faster and more often. And I would love to get stuck into some Christian books, but stupid school and what not does not let me have that sort fo time at the moment. Annoying. Argh!

ps. The text of this post is pink. Any particular reason?

Kiffa said...

I have been thinking a lot about Christian books lately as i have been reading a lot of them. I have begun to wonder why i crave the books so much? Why cant i just pull everything i need out of the bible. But even my bible has someone else's interpretation written in it.
Anyway, i am trying to justify if it is necessary to buy Christian books. or at least as many as i do. I use the excuse that i want to build up a library so that of i ever need to refer to something i can. I don't know though. Could the money be better spent? Not saying books are bad. There have been so many books which have helped my and like 'the heavenly man' are very good. I think also getting resources for something like a small group can be a helpful idea if one is straining for ideas. There are these medium sized books at the moment (at Koorong i believe) that are about counseling youth. In these little resource books they go through a lot of issues that are prevalent in our youth today. It is not just about counseling them.
I have faith that God will inspire you Lauren as to what will help the girls group.

God bless.

some girl said...

Have you read any of Rob Bell's books? He has two I think, Velvet Elvis and Sex God.

They're not particularly directed at youth, just for Christians in general, but they are awesome books. I love the way he writes.

He also makes mini DVD things called Nooma and they're pretty awesome too.